Finding Time to Take Care of Yourself
Let's first talk about what self-care is:
The idea of "self-care" sounds like something new to some of us, but it is an old concept. Self-care is all about how you take care of yourself and making it a priority so that you can be your best self. Self-care is a practice and with anything that is a practice you have to become disciplined in practicing it.
As a mama, I know it's hard to focus on myself when I am busy all day long taking care of others. But I want to bring my best self to the people I love and care for everyday and that means I need to pay attention to myself regularly.
So to all my mamas reading this! I'm speaking directly to you. You don't need to do "all the things, all the time!" But you do need to be available to show up for your family in the best way you can, so if that means you need to take a 30 minute break by locking yourself in the bathroom while little people run a muck with dad- DO IT! --The more you do it, the better you're going to feel!
That leads me to the first topic on what defines self care.
We are all busy, all the time. With technology at our fingertips it is hard to disconnect or unplug sometimes. Practice disconnecting from technology daily. By doing so you, you allow the things that distract you from paying attention to the more important things like, ourself, our family, or the time that you need to spend on something that has an important place in your life.
There's no right or wrong way to do it:
Everyone has different needs or enjoyment so make your own path when it comes to self-care. Everyone is going to have different requirements on what helps them feel better. I can only offer suggestions, but I strongly suggest turning off the technology for a given amount of time while focusing on yourself. Here are some ideas on things you can do for self-care.
- Turning off the TV instead of watching another episode of that Netflix series your currently indulging in!
- Declining the second drink at the office happy hour or dinner with girls.
- Saying “no”! Even if you want to help out or be available for that friend, sometimes a no is the better way to go.
- Letting other people take care of themselves.
- Drinking enough water in the day- trust me, when you are tracking it, you find out how often you don't drink enough!
- Take a bath or give yourself a facial and catch up on that book you've been meaning to read.
- Take a walk outside! Being outside is good for you!
- Practice deep breathing for 10 minutes while having that afternoon cup of tea (or coffee for me)!
- Pay attention to what you put on and in your body!
- Go to bed on time!
- Being financially responsible! Yep- even keeping your finances in order! It takes work, but at the end of the day you'll be happy you spent that time on it!
Yeah, so that was a lot of information!
If I didn't lose you, I hope you got something out of that. I can attest to having a very busy life and trying to keep up with it all. I do fell genuinely passionate about this topic especially as I get older. Taking notice of how I feel (health wise) and being productive and intentional with my time has become a top priority for me. I hope it is for you too!
To wrap up this post, I will add that Anything Mama Co. was started because I like taking care of my skin and paying special attention to what goes on my children's skin. I love me a good facial and a hot yoga class! That is my thing when it comes to self-care. Check out a few of AMC's best helpers here for a little self-care, even if you're short on time!
I have added a list of 50 ideas here that will help you find some self-care ways into your life!