I think this self care tip will be a favorite of everyone's, and if it's not, then we need to talk!
First of all, I love getting a manicure or pedicure! I'm not gonna lie, the massage part for my feet and lower leg are my favorite. After being in your feet all day, a nice foot and lower leg massage is the BEST!
Let's first start at the beginning before I dive into all the "feels" of why I love getting them. There are actually some pretty cool health benefits to getting a manicure and/or pedicure. I also want to talk about what a manicure and pedicure actually mean. And I will add here that I have seen A LOT of men getting pedicures lately too! My dad even gets them! No one wants Na-na feet (if you ever watched Martin Lawerence way back, you know what I mean)!
So what are some health benefits of manicures and pedicures?
Here are a few that I found:
- take care of your skin
- increase blood flow to the extremities
- take care of fungal infections
- add mental health wellness
- BONUS: pretty hands and feet!!!
Your hands are more exposed to the daily dirt, weather, and sun than any part of your body, except maybe your face. That means the grime easily accumulates, as well as constantly creating new skin cells and sloughing off the old. Your feet are generally only exposed in the spring and summer times, but walking on them all day can create callouses and other uneven skin conditions.
A manicure usually includes a thorough cleaning and lotions designed to exfoliate your skin. The grime is removed, as well as dead skin cells, keeping your hands smooth and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. A pedicure will also exfoliate your skin, as well as remove those annoying callouses on the bottom of your feet. This not only makes your feet more attractive, it also helps you distribute your weight more evenly across your feet, which can reduce leg and back pain after standing for long periods.
Blood flow to the extremities:
In addition to exfoliating, moisturizers and cuticle treatments are massaged into the skin in a professional mani-pedi. The massage is my favorite part of getting one of these treatments by someone else. This massage action is not only incredibly relaxing, it also helps to improve blood circulation to your extremities. This can reduce pain and help your body distribute heat during cold months.
Taking care of fungal infections:
Fungi often grow on toe nails when your feet are exposed to an excess of moisture. Often, it takes a few weeks for the infection to become noticeable. However, a professional manicurist will be able to identify a fungal infection even in its early stages, when it is most easily treated. Getting regular pedicures is actually a great way to maintain the health of your toes. If you are unsure or you don't go to a manicurist often, then definitely see your doctor.
Mental health wellness benefit:
Getting a manicure and/or pedicure is definitely a great way to relax and unwind! It's a great way to get pampered after a stressful day or week. Both the physical and mental health benefits of getting a manicure and pedicure are incredible. Your feet and hands will both look and feel great, your stress will go down, and your circulation will increase. The nice thing about a manicure and pedicure is that it doesn't usually take a lot time. It's always so nice to look down and see your pretty nails done!
Anything Mama Co. HOME style mani-pedi:
So I love going and getting a mani and a pedi done just as much as the next lady, but what if you run out of time or it's just not in the budget?
I have a solution!
Yes, you may not get the massage you've been craving, but there's no reason you can't exfoliate and moisturize those hands and feet yourself! Let's set you up with an at home mani-pedi spa! Here is my in home solution:
- Grab your favorite Anything Mama Co. scrub (if you need more- head HERE)
- Get a tub/bucket that fit your feet in them (this way you can use them for your hand too).
- Grab a BATH BOMB or epsom salt and your favorite essential oil.
- Grab your favorite Anything Mama Co. Shea and botanical lotion (you can also grab some more HERE if you're out).
- Get a two bath towels and two hand towels and a washcloth.
- Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and a few cotton balls and a nail file and buffer.
- Then, hardest part of all, decide which color or design you want for those soon to be pretty hands and feet! My friend Tara has me covered (Grab my favorite fast, easy, and pretty ColorStreet remedy here)! These have become my favorite way to get my nails pretty!
Now let's get the spa party started!
- Fill your tub with warm water (or as hot as you like) and a BATH BOMB or some epsom salt and a few drops of your essential oil of choice!
- Lay down one of your bath towels. I like to set up in the family room and grab a glass of wine to prep myself to watch one of my favorite movies! Since it's Christmas time, I love me a rom-com (Love Actually is my fav).
- Then I grab my ColorStreet choice, scrub, and lotion
Now that I have my supplies and set-up complete I take a sip of wine (or whiskey, if that's your choice), turn on my movie, trim my nails and file the ends, and get my soak on! I almost forgot to mention I like to wet my hand towels with hot water and keep them warm in the microwave until I am done soaking and scrubbing. I soak for about 10-15 minutes then I exfoliate my hands, feet, and lower leg. If my feet need a little extra "love" I try and work the scrub a little more on those pesky areas.
Once I'm done scrubbing, I rinse off the sugar and pat dry. I buff my nails here. Next I prep my hand towels and washcloth, making them nice a hot. Then I put some Shea and botanical lotion on my hands, legs, and feet. Then I place my hot towels on my lower legs, feet, and hands and allow all those marvelous oils to penetrate into my skin! After a few minutes I pat dry everything again. I use a little rubbing alcohol on the cotton ball and wipe down my fingernails and toenails. Now everything is prepped for your NAIL COLOR!
Grab your nail-color and and get your paint on! If you aren't using a nail color overlay, I suggest that you use a good base coat and top coat. It helps keep your nail color on longer!
Voila! You are done! Finish that glass of wine and movie and have a great rest of the night!
I hope you enjoy a little self care at home this week!