23 Reasons To Have Baking Soda In Your Life
Have you ever really thought about how great baking soda is as a natural and safe alternative?
Well, I have discovered ways that it is AMAZING! I've added the printable at the end for you for reference!
- Treats heartburn- dissolve a teaspoon in a cold glass of water and drink slowly. Eating spicy or greasy food, stress, or overeating.
- Mouth wash- provides antibacterial and antimicrobial properties- add half a teaspoon to half a glass of warm water and swish as usual.
- Soothes Canker sores- rinse with same mouthwash recipe once a day until it’s gone
- Whitens teeth- the abrasive properties break the bonds of molecules that stain teeth- also it’s antimicrobial and antibacterial
- Deodorant- eliminates the smell of sweat by making the odors less acidic- just pat some baking soda onto your armpits and see if you see a difference. Sweat is actually odorless, but the broken down bacteria in your armpits that convert sweat into acidic waste give the sweat an odor.
- May improve exercise performance- During high-intensity exercise, your muscle cells start producing lactic acid, which is responsible for the burning feeling you get during exercise. Lactic acid also lowers the pH inside your cells, which may cause your muscles to tire.
- Relieves itchy skin and sunburns- taking baking soda baths are especially effective at soothing itches from bug bites and bee stings. It also helps soothe sunburns with increased effectiveness when combined with cornstarch and oatmeal. Use 1-2 cups of baking soda in a lukewarm bath- make sure affected area is soaked thoroughly. You can also create a paste with a bit of water and apply to the affected area.
- Can help treat/soften calluses- soaking your feet with calluses in a baking soda bath can help soften and remove, any scales reduce the discomfort from the calluses. (This is a great reason to keep some bath bombs on hand!)
- Neutralizes fridge odors- just fill a cup with baking soda and place in the back of the refrigerator. A box of baking soda works too!
- Air Freshener- create a baking soda air freshener:
- Small jar
- 1/3 C baking soda
- 10-15 drops of favorite essential oils
- Piece of cloth or paper
- String or ribbon
Add all ingredients to the jar, cover with cloth or paper, then secure with string, when scent starts to fade, give the jar a shake. Highly recommend in a closet with sport/stinky shoes! I also discovered this is a great one to keep in your car too!
- May whiten your laundry- this inexpensive way (alkali) interacts with acids from stains that help remove them- add half a cup to regular amount of laundry detergent- helps soften the water too which means less detergent than usual!
- Kitchen cleaner- removes tough stains and helps eliminate foul odors in: ovens, stained coffee cups, stained marble, grease stains, kitchen tiles, clogged drains, tarnished silver, microwaves.
- Eliminate Garbage odor- sprinkle as the bottom of waste bins helps neutralize odors by 70%! I sprinkle in bottom of can and trash bag.
Removes stubborn carpet stains- baking soda and vinegar (carbonic acid):
- Cover stain in thin layer of baking soda
- Fill empty spray bottle with 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water and spray over area
- Wait up to an hour or until the surface becomes dry
- Scrub the baking soda loose with a brush and vacuum the residue
- Wipe us excess baking soda with a damp towel
- Multi-purpose Bathroom Cleaner- I use to clean my glass in the shower- baking soda, dawn soap, and vinegar- make into a paste and it cleans hard water stains the best with now toxic odor and disinfects- I use this to clean my outside windows too! They are sparkly clean and the rain water runs off great without spots. Usually lasts about 3-6 months outside. I use this bi-weekly on my shower in a paste with Dawn dish soap, baking soda, and
- Clean fruit and vegetables- soak in a solution of baking soda and water for 12-15 minutes removes nearly ALL the pesticides.
- Aluminum baking dish lined with aluminum foil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ cup pf white vinegar
Add baking soda to the baking pan slowly pour vinegar, pour boiling water and then place silver in the baking pan. Most should be gone within 30 seconds, but some may take longer- up to a minute. It will create a pale, yellow reside at the bottom of the pan.
- Save a scorched pan- sprinkle baking soda at the bottom, fill with water to cover the stain, bring mixture to a boil and empty. The parts that remain, use scourer, small amount of dish liquid and gently remove remaining bits.
- Extinguish Oil and grease fires- small oil and grease fires that is! Let’s hope a little baking soda is all that’s needed. If the job is bigger, make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand!
- Homemade weed killer- sprinkle in the cracks of your driveway- be careful in flower beds and planters, it will kill off the things you may be growing on purpose.
- Shoe deodorizer-two tablespoons of baking soda into some cheesecloth or thin pieces of fabric and secure with rubber bands -making a baking soda bag- place in your shoes and remove when you want to wear them. If this were bake in the days when my daughter was playing soccer and volleyball, I would have made hundreds of these for ALL the parents!
- Helps slow the progression of Chronic Kidney Disease- taking a supplement in a study showed that 35% of patients improved their CKD with the added NaCO3 supplement.
- May improve Certain Cancer treatments- this was an interesting finding that I found, but I did not finish reading the study since it didn’t pertain to me at the moment. If you want more information or the name of the study, please comment or send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org